- Stay inside: Drop, Cover, Hold On — Be prepared for aftershocks!
- Check yourself and others for injuries.
- Use shoes and gloves to protect from broken glass, check for hazards.
- Shut off water to your unit.
- Put Go Bag in central location, turn on battery-powered/hand-crank radio to 91.5 FM or NOAA (162.550 MHz–only available on emergencyradios).
- Post OK/HELP sign outside front door. Leave door unlocked.
- Check on floor neighbors.
- Cover toilets and all sinks and shower/tub drains. Nothing can go down the pipes. Do not use the garbage chute. Set up twin-bucket sanitation system.
- Call or text main personal contact on your emergency list if possible.